Lomi Lomi Training Retreats
WHAT IS LOMI LOMI?
Lomi Lomi is the Hawaiian word for “massage”, though it’s deeper meaning & application has many layers. Traditionally, this healing art was practiced within families, each with their own unique style, and passed on by the elder to a chosen family member to continue the lineage.
Lomi Lomi is rooted in ancient Polynesian knowledge & a unique way of thinking & seeing the world. In order to understand what Lomi Lomi is, the deeper applications of this work, we need to explore Hawaiian consciousness, to get to the roots & foundation of what it is, where it comes from, and what is asked of us in order to be able to practice this work.
This is especially important if we are non-Hawaiians. To have respect for this sacred work, we must have a connection with the people, the source, the land, the stories, the language, the chants, the prayers, the protocols, the way of thinking, the proverbs, the dance, the myths & legends.
As a teacher of Lomi Lomi, it is important to name & honour each of my teachers, to uphold the lineage and preserve the knowledge that was passed on to me. My original lineage source is Kahu Abraham Kawai’i, whose style of lomi lomi was also called kahuna massage. My first teacher was Anthea Hardwick, since 2000. I completed my Teacher Training with Susan Floyd, who was a student of Abraham Kawai’i in 2004. To experience a different lineage, I studied with Jeana Naluai in 2014, whose main lineage is Aunty Mahilani Poe Poe.
I will always continue to deepen my knowledge through study & experience.
Today, the Lomi Lomi trainings that I offer are consistent with my original lineage of Abraham Kawai’i, with additional spiritual teachings from other lineages that I feel are in alignment.
For more about me, as a person & as a teacher, visit my Bio.
It is an absolute honour & privilege to be able to sit in the lei of aloha with you, and be part of your journey – Louise Kleu McEvoy
Lomi Lomi training with Lomi Lomi Ireland offers the opportunity for you to learn bodywork that is rooted in the ancient Hawaiian culture.
The foundation for the Bodywork, is the spiritual knowledge & consciousness, which we will spend time exploring. This is an ongoing journey that you will need to embark on, that goes beyond this initial foundational training. I will be there to point you in the right direction for further study.
Our training includes learning some Oli (Hawaiian chants) and Pule (Hawaiian prayers) to develop our spiritual connection. We learn about coming into alignment with ourselves & this sacred practice, by following a protocol of respect & ceremony.
The bodywork is the vehicle for the delivery of mana & aloha. To access this powerful healing energy, we may need to identify & let go of some of our own pohaku (stones) in our bowl of light, so that we can deliver the full potential of this healing work.
It is important to note that our training together goes beyond learning the physical aspect of Lomi Lomi (just the massage) and it will include the foundation of spiritual teachings, oli, pule & mo’olelo (stories).
WHAT DOES THE TRAINING ENTAIL?
The foundation Lomi Lomi training is an 8 day residential retreat at Aloha House in Killorglin, Co. Kerry, Ireland. This is our home. Also, the space we have created to be the home of Lomi Lomi in Ireland.
We provide accommodation & one meal per day, with the rest self-catered. You will have access to the group kitchen & dining area for other meals. We are also located in the quaint town of Killorglin, so easy access to shops & restaurants.
Generally the day starts at 10am & finishes at 10pm (with plenty of breaks for leisure & meals). All equipment is provided, though you will bring your own sheets & massage oil. You will practice in pairs.
We are located in a rural town in The Reeks District, with ample access to beaches, mountains & forests which you can immerse yourself in during your retreat.
The 8 day training covers:
- Foundations of Hawaiian spiritual knowledge & consciousness
- Full body lomi lomi massage (at least 90 minutes – 2 hours)
- Lomi Lomi with hot stones
- Underbody techniques
- Working with The Elements
- Introduction to Oli & Pule
The certification from Lomi Lomi Ireland is recognised & insurable in the Republic of Ireland, provided you are a qualified massage therapist. If not a massage therapist, you may practice on family & friends. You may also feel to complete the training for “personal development”.
Lomi Lomi : The full practitioner
(Level 1, 2 & 3)
Immerse yourself in the full 8 day training retreat. Allow the Hawaiian teachings & practices to enrich your Life & those who you touch through this healing system.
Lomi Lomi : Advanced
A 4-day retreat for the Advanced Lomi Lomi Practitioner. We focus on YOU as the practitioner, so that you are able to hold more space & mana for healing to unfold in your treatments. We start with a traditional Sweat Lodge Ceremony to purify us. We learn bone-washing & skeletal techniques, Kahi Loa & a fully clothed treatment lying on a mattress. This is work that goes deep into your bones, into your ancestry, into the song of your heart.
Booking Process & FAQ’s
- 8 day retreat (shared accommodation) €1200
- 8 day retreat (single accommodation) €1600
- 8 day retreat (repeat) €800
- 8 day retreat (repeat. Single accommodation) €1200
- 8 day non-residential €900
- 3 days basics (shared accommodation) €550
- 4 days practitioner (shared accommodation) €800
- 50% deposit is required, of which €200 is non-refundable.
- Payment plans are available. Email email@example.com to arrange.
- Cancellations within 30 days of training start date: all payments will be transferred to another training date.
- Cancellations beyond 30 days of training start date: all payments will be refunded.
If you are ready to answer the call deep within your heart,
take the first steps to a profound adventure with Lomi Lomi!
Items to bring: 1 small hand towel, 4 sarongs or single flat sheets, 500 mls massage oil (eg. Coconut/sweet almond/grapeseed etc), walking shoes & rain jacket, comfortable clothes to massage in, personal toiletries, notebook, pen & water bottle
Ideal for: Anybody who wants to learn, practice professionally, use for family use or for personal development.
Insurance required for practicing in Ireland: You will need a Diploma in Massage (ITEC or equivalent) in order to add Lomi Lomi as one of your therapies. You can do the training whether or not you are a massage therapist, however for insurance you will need a professional qualification including Anatomy & Physiology.
Starting at The Beginning: if you’ve had a previous teacher, we still advise to start at Level 1 as all teachers are different and bring their own individual experiences which influence the training.
Retreat style training: the nature of healing work lends itself to participants learning retreat-style. This way, we can spend more time together, focus completely on the work without having to go home and cook the dinner etc. The hours of training are often early mornings & late nights, so staying at the venue makes it more practical. It’s also an opportunity to make human connections & establish ‘Ohana.
Upcoming Lomi Lomi training retreats
Directory of therapists
- Aileen Durkan, Dublin Holistic Ctr, www.lomilomidublin.com, 0857512886
- Marta Czernik, Killarney https://www.facebook.com/KalaHolistic/
- Christine Tyler, Portmagee, 0851284436
- Jean Bowen, Lomi Therapy, Belgooly Co. Cork 087 630 7089
- Juliet O’Keeffe, Listowel, Co. Kerry 087 – 925 9669 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aoife Mannion, Dublin https://www.aoifeholistic-healing.com, 086 3790 260
- Christine Schnell , Naas, Co.Kildare & Dublin 086-8773085
- Alyson McEvoy, Dublin www.alysonmcevoy.wix.com/restorativehealing
- Susana De Abreu, Dublin 085 883 9424 http://www.tuningforkspirit.com
- Ann Murphy, Castleisland Co. Kerry, 087 913 8807
- Szilvia Tomor, Kilcock Co. Kildare, 085 2805298
- Nadine Langhard, Dublin www.conscioustouch.ie
- Uta Kaiser, Beara Peninsula 0877425717, www.utakaiser.com
- Marzena Mrozkiewicz, Limerick, 0879020400 www.manawa.ie
- Kasia La’akea, Mayo & Galway www.soundmagicireland.com
- John Picard, Athlone Massage Clinic 0868255206, www.johnpicard.ie
- Shantih Therapies, Mary McCumiskey 086 8438885, www.shantihtherapies.ie
- Nataliya Kozlov, 0863500346 Portmarnock, Dublin email@example.com
- Karen Myles, South Dublin & Dubin City Centre, 083 810 4696
- Ciara Curtin, Midleton, Co. Cork. 0872113065.www.curdane.com
- Niamh Kissane, (Tralee area) 087 795 7656.www.niamhkissane.com
- Patrick Kallerfors, +46739501300,www.lomilomisweden.online
- Karen Rome, www.beautifulhawaiianlomilomi.co.uk
- Tiny Vertkas, +31 6 19150033,M.A. de Ruyterstraat 30,3601 TH Maarssen Netherlands www.zenergya.nl
- Katiusca Checchin, Venice (Italy) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Giuliana Paoluzzi (Germany) Duerrlacher Weg 7, 79539 Loerrach email@example.com 0049 1577 6461581 ore 0041 76 2501157
- Patrick Kallerfors (Lomi Lomi Sweden) +46 73 950 13 00 www.lomilomi-niu.se